Thanks to one of my advisors, Titus, for this article about how to get involved in open source projects. It suggests the following…
- Read the developers guide for Python.
- Fix bugs in Python or Django. Particularly, choose bugs that catch your attention or that you have experienced.
Here is a great video called “Get off the bench: Making the leap from user to contributor” from a Django developer about how to get involved:
Open Source Your Own Code:
- Put your code online on Github.
- Put other things on Github too, like grants, papers, and syllabi.
Track Your Progress, Share Your Knowledge:
- Edit documentation for Django or Python.
- Blog! When you encounter problems, post them and your solutions on a blog somewhere, so other people can learn from your experience.